How To Steam
- Choose a pot large enough to hold the lobsters comfortably; do not crowd them. A 4 to 5 gallon pot can handle 6 to 8 pounds of lobsters.
- Put 2 inches of seawater or salted water in the bottom of pot.
- Set steaming rack inside the pot and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Add the live lobsters one at a time, cover pot, and start timing.
- Halfway through, lift the lid (careful – the steam is hot) and shift the lobsters around so they cook evenly.
Suggested steaming timings as follows:
- For 1.25 lb. lobsters – 12 minutes
- For 1.5 lb. lobsters – 14 minutes
- For 1.75 lb. lobsters – 16 minutes
- For 2.0 lb. lobsters – 18 minutes
- For 2.25 lb. lobsters – 20 minutes
- For 2.5 lb. lobsters – 22 minutes
How To Boil
- Fill large pot with enough water to cover lobsters.
- Heavily salt the water with sea salt – approximately 1/2 cup per gallon of water.
- Bring water to the boil.
- Remove bands from lobster claws. Be careful!
- Put lobsters in pot, head down. Depending on size of pot, and size of lobsters, 2-4 at a time. Cover pot.
- Once pot comes back to boil, time 10 minutes for first lb. of lobster size, + 6 minutes for each additional lb.
(example: 4 x 1.5 lb. lobsters = 13 minutes of boiling time)
- Prepare sink full of ice and cold salted water.
- Once time is done on lobsters, remove from pot with tongs, and plunge into ice water, legs up, to stop cooking.
Nova Scotia Creamed Lobster
- 3-4 lobsters (about 6lbs total)
- 1 cup of butter
- 2 cups blend or whipping cream
- Toast or rolls
- Cook and shell lobsters and cut meat into bite size chunks
- Add butter to large pan and melt over low heat
- Once butter is melted, add lobster meat and simmer for 10-15 min
- Add cream and continue to simmer (do not boil) for another 10-15 min
- Serve hot over toast or roll
- 1 block cream cheese
- 1 TBSP ketchup
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP seafood sauce
- 2 TBSP finely chopped onion
- 3-4 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped lobster meat
1) Combine, cream cheese, ketchup, mayo, lemon juice, seafood sauce in
bowl and mix well (I used a handheld beater)
2) Add onion and Worcestershire sauce and stir in
3) Fold in lobster meat
4) Serve with plain chips, Ritz crackers or toasted pita bread